Caving and Potholing Courses
Yorkshire and Peak District Caving Instruction
Skills Courses, SRT Training, Taster Sessions and Experience Days
Enjoy caving courses and fun days out to suit all skill levels, suitable for both groups and individuals. Our routes range from relaxed routes you can walk through to much tighter crawlspaces regarded as some of the most extreme caving routes in the UK.
Suited to everyone, a taster experience is tailored to the group. Walking and crawling through natural passages deep underground, it’s “proper caving” not floodlit, show caves. We’ll lend you a suit, wellies, helmet and lamp, but we don’t pass through horribly tight, claustraphobia inducing squeezes. If you do want to test yourself, there are tight side passages that you crazy cats can attempt, to the amusement of others!
Try Pot Holing / Caving Experience
Join us for a caving adventure! If you don’t like tight spaces, we can adjust the route. No previous experience is needed and can be enjoyed by all ages, abilities and fitness levels. Experiences can be horizontal (without ropes) or vertical (with ropes and/or ladders).
Guided Caving Trips
Experienced, knowledgeable guides show you any cave system in the Yorkshire Dales or the Peak District. Depending on your experience and your desires, we can offer Single Rope Technique (SRT) and pull-through trips. Trips can be horizontal (without ropes) or vertical (with ropes and/or ladders). No experience required.
Beginner / Intro Course
Half-Day, 1-Day or 2-Days
If your aim is to eventually go caving on your own, this introductory caving course is an essential first step to becoming an underground spelunker. There are no course pre-requisites and it’s tailored to you, but for an idea could cover:
- Identifying water flow and potential flooding hazards
- Deciphering weather charts, rainfall histograms and where to find these sources
- Navigating using maps and guidebooks
- History of cave development and identifying formations and fossils
- Preserving and conservation
- Emergency procedures and safety kit
- Advice on purchasing equipment and your next steps
- Course will be tailored to you in either horizontal or vertical systems.
Intermediate Caving Course
1-Day or 2-Days
This course is an ideal progression from our beginner course and is designed for those with the hunger to explore technical caves. There are no course pre-requisites and it’s tailored to you, but for an idea could cover:
- Single Rope Technique (SRT) and abseiling
- Traversing high ledges and climbing using caving ladders
- Protecting companions with a rope
- Caving knots, rope care, coiling and organising tackle
Advanced Caving Course
1-Day, 2-Days or 3-Days
Designed for those with a keen interest in learning about the more technical aspects of caving and exploring into deeper systems. There are no course pre-requisites and it’s tailored to you, but for an idea could cover:
- Setting up ropes for SRT
- Rigging traverses and protecting the leader with natural and bolted anchors
- The theory of fall factors, the loading of anchor points and the use of ‘Y’ hangs
- Comprehensive tuition exploring the most technical passages
- Self-rescue techniques and rescuing a tired or injured caver on a pitch or traverse line
- Scope to discuss any and all aspects of caving.