Secret Trails of Nar Phu
An Adventurous Trek Exploring the Remote Valleys of Nar and Phu
16 Day Tour – Bespoke Trips Run at Your Convenience
Discover the hidden valleys, remote villages and ancient monasteries of Nar Phu on a spectacular, adventurous trek. Walk amongst a region that has been left untouched by modern amenities and experience the Tibetan culture that thrives here.
Beginning in the lower reaches of the Annapurna Circuit, walk along rugged mountain trails, carved into vast, steep sided gorges. Trek through enchanted forests of pine, oak and colourful rhododendrons and experience the lush, verdant greens of the valley floors below. Be mesmerised by the awe-inspiring snow capped peaks, like Manaslu and Annapurna II. The scenery is nothing short of amazing.
The trail veers into the restricted area of Nar Phu, having only been opened to visitors since 2003 and the difference from the busier trails of the Annapurna Circuit is evident. You’ll be visiting a region few others have explored. This is trekking at its absolute finest and an experience not to be missed!
Welcome to Nepal, let the adventure begin!
- Remote monasteries, gompas and villages of Nar and Phu
- Crossing the Kang La
- Ancient Tibetan culture and lifestyle
- Colourful rhododendron forests and lush valleys
- A fully supported and well-organised expedition
- Experiencing an adventurous and off the beaten path trek
- Outstanding mountain views across the Himalaya, including the Annapurna’s and Manaslu
- Marsyangdi Valley and the Annapurna Circuit
Want more adventure? Combine this tour with one of our other trips or treks to Nepal for an outstanding 31-day holiday!
Land Only Price: from £1595
You will find our private tour prices are surprisingly reasonable. We can provide private tours for individuals to groups of one hundred or more. Please contact us with your details to receive a price within 24 hours.
Allow £550-700 for return flights from London or Manchester. To book flights, click here.
We accept foreign payments, please visit our foreign currency page.
A deposit of £200 secures your place on the trip and the balance is due 60 days before the start of the tour. Monthly payment plans can be set up on request. If you book less than 60 days before the start of the trip then the full amount is due immediately.
Will there be any surcharges or price changes?
Once your deposit has been paid there is a guaranteed no price change. There are no hidden charges or extras, the price we quote you when you book is the price you and your group will be paying.
Extend your trip in Nepal by 2 more weeks
Check the departure dates of our other Nepal tours here. Get a 5% discount off of the lower priced tour when you book two trips for yourself!
We don’t charge a single supplement fee if you’re a solo traveller. Our prices are based on staying in twin share rooms with a member of the same sex or your travelling companion. If you wish to stay in your own room there will be an extra charge. Please contact us to discuss your requirements and for current prices.
If you want to arrive early or depart later then we can arrange accommodation and transport for you (there is an additional charge for this). Please contact us with any requests.
If you like to indulge and treat yourself every now and then (and who doesn’t?) we are more than happy to arrange alternative accommodation. We also appreciate how lovely a little bit of lavish comfort can be when you are away from home and can recommend the following hotels for a touch of 5 star luxury in Kathmandu.
Day Tours and Extensions to Nepal Trips
Want More Adventure?
Explore holy temples or endearing hilltop villages, discover the exotic capital, or seek out nature and tranquillity in the beautiful Himalayan landscape. From bungee jumping and white water rafting to scenic rambles and hidden gems why not extend your trip to make it truly a unique and once in a lifetime trip!
Continue reading about Nepal day tours and side trips
Click here for more information on Nepal.
Itinerary and Route
All of our itineraries are meticulously researched and well planned. They are designed to give you the most amounts of fun and excitement, whilst also giving you ample time to relax. Lost Earth Adventures takes the hassle out of organizing your trip, leaving you to sit back and enjoy your adventure!
- Day 1: Arrive Kathmandu
- Day 2: Drive Kathmandu to Jagat (1,800m)
- Day 3: Trek from Jagat to Dharapani (1,860m)
- Day 4: Trek from Dharapani to Koto (2,600m)
- Day 5: Trek from Koto to Meta (3,550m)
- Day 6: Trek from Meta to Kyang (3,800m) li>
- Day 7: Trek from Kyang to Phu (4,080m)
- Day 8: Phu – Rest and Exploration Day
- Day 9: Trek from Phu to Nar Phedi (3,550m)
- Day 10: Trek from Nar Phedi to Nar (4,180m)
- Day 11: Trek from Nar to Kang La Phedi (4,530m)
- Day 12: Trek from Kang La Phedi to Ngawal (3,657m) via Kang La (5,322m)
- Day 13: Trek from Ngawal to Chame (2,060m)
- Day 14: Trek from Chame to Jagat (1,300m)
- Day 15: Drive Jagat to Kathmandu
- Day 16: Depart Kathmandu
If you have a late flight why not…
Explore the ancient city of Patan or experience a breathtaking Everest mountain flight!
Please click on the arrows to take a photographic journey through Nar Phu.
Join us on a visual journey through the Himalaya to Nar and Phu.
We trek into a very remote part of Nepal at high altitude. There are a variety of steep ascents and descents, and we sometimes trek for up to 9 hours per day. We also cross a possibly snow covered pass of 5,322m. As with most things a certain degree of fitness will make this trip more enjoyable.
Although we are predominantly staying in teahouses (mountain guesthouse) it should be noted that the accommodation is still quite basic as this area has only recently been made possible to do as a teahouse trek. You may not see any other tourists for the whole portion of the trek once you leave the Annapurna trail. As with most things a certain degree of fitness will make this trip more enjoyable. You may need to use flexible walking crampons and an ice axe when we cross the pass. We can teach you how to use these items whilst in Nepal and lend them to you but you need to be fairly sure-footed and a confident/experienced walker or have a strong can-do attitude.
Recent Trip Reports
- Read our comprehensive guide to travelling at high altitude.
- 2 nights hotel accommodation in Kathmandu
- 2 nights camping, tents, cooking staff and all necessary equipment.
- 12 nights teahouse accommodation
- Entrance fees and trekking permits
- Airport transfers to and from the airport on the first and last day
- Included meals: All meals while trekking, breakfasts in Kathmandu, welcome and farewell dinner in Kathmandu. The food available in the tea houses is brilliant, there is a large selection of western, Chinese and Nepalese food available for you to choose from. We do not want you to be restricted in your menu choices and want you to enjoy the vast menus and locally grown produce of the tea houses. We will let you choose whatever meal you want from the menus at meal times. On the nights we camp we will provide you with plenty of food and hot drinks.
- 1 fully qualified, first aid trained Trekking Guide
- Afternoon tea and biscuits while trekking
- All transportation for duration of tour (unless otherwise specified)
- Porters and support staff to carry luggage
- Satellite phone (to be used for organising logistics and in emergencies)
- Guides will check in with our office to get regular bespoke weather updates and confirm locations
- Financial protection: we are an ABTA and ATOL bonded and insured, UK based tour operator
- Pre-departure support and advice by email, phone and face to face meetings in York if you would like. After booking with us we will send you a highly informative and comprehensive trip information pack
- Remote medical support from specialist doctors
- Small groups. No more than 12 people on a set departure trip
- Trekking kit bag
- We don’t force a fast or slow pace. Our teams are supported with plenty of staff so you can walk at your own pace. We let you walk at the pace that is right for you.
- Our guides and porters are paid fairly, properly equipped and fully insured for rescue and medical emergencies
- If you’d like to meet some of our team and experience our services beforehand you can join us on one of our UK adventures.
What’s Not Included
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Items of a personal nature (drinks, snacks, souvenirs, etc.)
- Airport transfers taken outside of the itinerary’s arrival and departure dates
- Nepalese visa (Available to buy from $30 USD on arrival in Nepal)
- International flights
- Tips to porters/local guide
Travelling to Nepal
You will need a passport with 6-month’s validity and you will need to obtain a Nepalese visa. The easiest way to get the visa is to buy it on entry to Nepal with either dollars or any major currency but not Nepali Rupees. Currently the cost for a single-entry visa valid for 15/30/90 days costs US$30/50/125. You can buy a visa in advance from the Neplese embassy in your home country if they have a location there. It is more expensive than buying it on arrival in Kathmandu and it doesn’t always save you time when you arrive as it is random which queue is longer. You also have to risk sending your passport off and they may take it for several weeks. You will need to buy travel insurance for your trip which you can find out about here. You also need to visit your GP or travel health professional at least 4-6 weeks before your trip to check what vaccinations you need.
For more information about travelling safely and obtaining passports you can see more at the FCO know before you go Travel Aware Campaign.
Why don’t we use domestic flights in Nepal?
All airlines in Nepal are on the EU blacklist. This means they don’t meet international safety standards. Lost Earth Adventures is passionate about giving every one of our customers the best possible experience but we will never compromise your safety to do so. Instead of domestic flights, we use private 4x4s to drive you to the start of your trek. You may see searing vistas, traditional villages and lush rice paddies along the way.
What Our Guests Say
Groups: Private Treks and Group Tours
Charities, Schools, Military, Private Groups and Tailor Made Trips for Individuals
All our tours can be run privately for you and your group, from solo travellers to groups of over 50. We specialise in organising bespoke tours for groups of friends, charity challenges, school groups, mountaineering clubs, families, and countless others.
Please contact us with your details to receive a price within 24 hours.
We love working with charity challengers! We have our own charity (Share the Load Foundation) and are inspired by your determination to fundraise for worthy causes. That’s why we will do everything we can to help you achieve your goals during a charity challenge. We provide support from start to finish, including fundraising tips, training plans and the very best in-country support.
We believe that the best way for students to develop into global citizens ready to go and conquer the world is to get them out into it as soon as possible. We meticulously plan our itineraries to increase students’ independence and self-belief and develop a sense of social responsibility. UK safety standards and documentation for all activities and a 24 hour UK based operations centre ensure students’ safety and well-being on their Asian Lost Earth Adventure.
We are an Approved Military Contractor and provide many courses, expeditions and adventure training for groups of serving personnel and Cadets.
We understand honeymooners need a bit of champagne sparkle, some celebrations warrant the inclusion of heli-trekking and spa treatments, and that the very active relax with white-water rafting after summiting 6,000m peaks. Decades of research and our extensive in-country network mean anything is possible. Get in touch and we’ll start preparing your perfect adventure.
Information for group leaders & group discounts
Depending on your trip and number of participants, we can offer groups of 10 or more a complimentary place or a discount for all adventurers. Schools trips can benefit from free places for teachers, whilst we can discount rates for charity challenges. Contact us with your details and requirements and we will get a quote to you within one working day.
We also appreciate the effort it takes to coordinate a group of people so in exchange for your efforts, we will give group organisers of 10+ people a £150 Cotswold gift voucher; perfect for kitting yourself out ahead of your big adventure!
All group members receive a complimentary kit bag, t-shirt and a voucher code for 15% off at Cotswold Outdoor.
For Your Information
Health and safety and financial protection
At Lost Earth Adventures, health and safety is our top priority. All our trips are run to UK and international safety standards, and are proud to surpass these standards in many areas. We are an ABTA and ATOL bonded tour operator, ensuring your financial protection.
Full details of our policies and protections are available here.