Helambu Trekking Tour
Trek into Helambu, the Ancient Land of the Sherpa
9 day set departures and private expeditions from £945
The Helambu trek is the perfect trail for those looking for a diverse taste of what Nepal offers, from the vibrancy of Kathmandu to blissful vistas to the rich cultural experience of untouched villages.
This shorter trek offers lots of authentic Himalayan experience to soak up. You’ll meet extremely remote communities and get a genuine sight of what most other trekkers never get to see. If you’re looking to get away from it all, this is the trek for you.
The start of the Helambu Trek is only an hour drive from Kathmandu, so it’s a great trek to get you straight into the mountains.
Welcome to Nepal, let the adventure begin!
- Experience the ‘real Nepal’ and her hospitable charm
- Fresh mountain air, vast landscapes
- Experience traditional Tamang and Sherpa culture
- The UNESCO Kathmandu Valley and Temples
- Fly amongst giants in a spectacular Mt. Everest scenic flight
- An authentic insight to Himalayan life
- Head straight to the hills – trail head is only an hour drive from Kathmandu
- A fully-supported and well-organised expedition
- Part of The Great Himalaya Trail
Want more adventure? Combine this trip with one of our other Nepal treks or tours
Privately guided tours
Prices excluding flights
Prices including flights
Are there any hidden costs or price changes?
No. Once you pay your deposit, we guarantee there’s no price change. There are no hidden charges or extras either. The price we quote is the price you pay.
Extend your trip in Nepal
Check the departure dates of our other Nepal tours here. Book two trips for yourself and get 5% off the lower priced tour. We can also help arrange arriving earlier or departing later to maximise your stay in this wonderful place.
We don’t charge a single supplement fee for solo travellers. Prices are based on sharing a twin room with a member of the same sex or a travelling companion. You can stay in your own room for £250. This must be paid with the final balance.
Treat yourself to some lavish comfort before or after your grand adventure. We’re experts when it comes travelling in and around Nepal, so why not see our recommendations on the best 5-star hotels in Kathmandu?
Day Tours and Excursions
Explore holy temples, endearing hilltop villages or the exotic capital of Kathmandu. Seek out tranquility or adventure! From bungee jumping and white water rafting to scenic rambles into untouched monasteries! There’s always more to see in Nepal. Check out all our day trips and excursions.
Itinerary and Route
Our itineraries are meticulously researched. They are designed to give you the most fun with ample time to relax. We take the hassle out of organising your trip so that you can soak up every ounce of your mesmerising adventure!
- Day 1: Arrive in Kathmandu
- Day 2: Enjoy the UNESCO Kathmandu Valley 3 temples tour
- Day 3: Drive to Sundarijal (1 hour) then trek to Chisapani (2,300m)
- Day 4: Trek from Chisopani to Kutumsang (2,446m)
- Day 5: Trek from Kutumsang to Thadepati (3,650m)
- Day 6: Trek from Thadepati to Tarkeghyang (2,560m)
- Day 7: Trek from Tarkeghyang to Sermathang (2,610m)
- Day 8: Trek from Sermathang to Malemchi Bazaar (3 hours), then drive to Kathmandu
- Day 9: Depart Kathmandu
Click on the arrows below to take a photographic adventure through the mountains of Helambu.
This trek’s close proximity to Kathmandu means you don’t spend long in a car. We can walk this trek much slower than the suggested itinerary and there are plenty of places to stay the night en-route. Trekking just 2-3 hours per day is certainly viable. If you’re interested in doing this, just contact us.
- 3 nights in hotel accommodation in Kathmandu
- 6 nights in teahouse accommodation during the trek
- Included meals: All meals while trekking, breakfasts, welcome and farewell dinner in Kathmandu. There’s a huge selection of Western, Chinese and Nepalese food on offer on the trek, so we’ll let you decide which meals you’d prefer
- Afternoon tea and biscuits while trekking
- Airport transfers to and from the airport on the first and last day
- All transportation for duration of tour (unless otherwise stated)
- Entrance fees and trekking permits
- One fully qualified, first aid trained Trekking Guide
- Welcome and farewell dinner
- Guided tour of the three temples of Kathmandu
- Map of your trekking route
- Trekking kit bag
- Porters and support staff to carry luggage
- Sufficient means of communication. Satellite phones can be rented on request for £10 per day.
- Guides will check in with our office to get regular bespoke weather updates and confirm locations
- Financial protection: we are an ABTA and ATOL bonded and insured, UK based tour operator
- Pre-departure support and advice by email, phone and face to face meetings in York if you would like. After booking with us we will send you a highly informative and comprehensive trip information pack
- Remote medical support from specialist doctors
- Small groups. No more than 12 people on a set departure trip
- We don’t force a fast or slow pace. Our teams are supported with plenty of staff so you can walk at your own pace. We let you walk at the pace that is right for you.
- Our guides and porters are paid fairly, properly equipped and fully insured for rescue and medical emergencies
- If you’d like to meet some of our team and experience our services beforehand you can join us on one of our UK adventures.
For a full list of what is included download the Helambu Trek Dossier
What’s not included?
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Items of a personal nature (drinks, snacks, souvenirs, etc.)
- Nepalese visa (available to buy on arrival at Kathmandu airport from USD30)
- Scenic Everest mountain flight
- Tips to porters/local guide
- Airport transfers taken outside of the itinerary’s arrival and departure dates
Travelling to Nepal
You’ll need a passport with 6-month’s validity as well as a Nepalese visa. The best way to obtain this is to buy it on entry to Nepal in any major currency but not Nepali Rupees. Typically, the cost is USD30 for 15 days.
You’ll also need travel insurance and you should visit your GP or a health professional at least 4-6 weeks before you travel to check which vaccinations you may need.
For more info on travelling safely and obtaining a visa, see the FCO Know Before You Go campaign.
- Read our comprehensive guide to travelling at high altitude.
Recent Trip Reports
- Helambu Trek Report Sept 2011
- Helambu Trek Report Feb 2012
- Helambu Trek Report June 2012
- Helambu Trek Report Oct 2013
- Langtang and Helambu Trek Report April 2016
- End of Season Report Autumn 2018
What Our Guests Say
Groups: Private Treks and Group Tours
Charities, Schools, Military, Private Groups and Tailor Made Trips for Individuals
All our tours can be run privately for you and your group, from solo travellers to groups of over 50. We specialise in organising bespoke tours for groups of friends, charity challenges, school groups, mountaineering clubs, families, and countless others.
Please contact us with your details to receive a price within 24 hours.
We love working with charity challengers! We have our own charity (Share the Load Foundation) and are inspired by your determination to fundraise for worthy causes. That’s why we will do everything we can to help you achieve your goals during a charity challenge. We provide support from start to finish, including fundraising tips, training plans and the very best in-country support.
We believe that the best way for students to develop into global citizens ready to go and conquer the world is to get them out into it as soon as possible. We meticulously plan our itineraries to increase students’ independence and self-belief, thus developing a sense of social responsibility. UK safety standards and documentation for all activities and a 24 hour UK based operations centre ensure students’ safety and well-being on their Asian Lost Earth Adventure.
We are an Approved Military Contractor and provide many courses, expeditions and adventure training for groups of serving personnel and Cadets.
We understand honeymooners need a bit of champagne sparkle, some celebrations warrant the inclusion of heli-trekking and spa treatments, and that the very active relax with white-water rafting after summiting 6,000m peaks. Decades of research and our extensive in-country network mean anything is possible. Get in touch and we’ll start preparing your perfect adventure.
Information for group leaders & group discounts
Depending on your trip and number of participants, we can offer groups of 10 or more a complimentary place or a discount for all adventurers. Schools trips can benefit from free places for teachers, whilst we can discount rates for charity challenges. Contact us with your details and requirements and we will get a quote to you within one working day.
We also appreciate the effort it takes to coordinate a group of people so in exchange for your efforts, we will give group organisers of 10+ people a £150 Cotswold gift voucher; perfect for kitting yourself out ahead of your big adventure!
All group members receive a complimentary kit bag, t-shirt and a voucher code for 15% off at Cotswold Outdoor.
For Your Information
Health and safety and financial protection
At Lost Earth Adventures, health and safety is our top priority. All our trips are run to UK and international safety standards, and are proud to surpass these standards in many areas. We are an ABTA and ATOL bonded tour operator, ensuring your financial protection.
Full details of our policies and protections are available here.