Makalu Base Camp Trek
Soak in Himalayan Mountain Views High on the Slopes of Makalu
Tour Runs as a Private Expedition. Bespoke Trips Run at Your Convenience.
Home to one of the most pristine mountain landscapes in the world, including 3,000 species of flowering plants, 440 species of birds and 75 species of mammals, the remote Makalu-Barun National Park is an incredibly special place. Quiet trails, unspoilt forests and alpine meadows reveal more to trekkers with every step. The beauty of your surroundings each morning from your tent door is just breath-taking!
Crossing the Shipton La, following in the footsteps of the first European explorers in 1952, we step away from the modern world. From this point, the trails are remote, and the high Himalaya become ever closer. The awe-inspiring West Face of Makalu cannot fail to impress even the most intrepid of travellers on the approach to Base Camp. The famous mountain giants Everest (8,850m), Lohtse (8,516m), Baruntse (7,220m), Chamlang (7,319m) and Kanchenjunga (8,586m) will all be in plain sight during the trek, as well as a whole host of other snow-capped peaks, glaciers and their ancient trails of moraine.
You will pass through traditional villages of the indigenous Rai, Limbu, Sherpa and Lhomi peoples on the lower reaches of the trek, and remote settlements higher up. Such cultural diversity is a real highlight of the trek, as is getting a glimpse into the lives of people who live off the land in this untouched corner of the world.
Welcome to Nepal, let the adventure begin!
- Trek in the Makalu-Barun National Park under the shadow of the Barun Glacier.
- Spectacular mountain vistas of the Makalu, Lhotse and Everest massifs from 5,500m.
- Panoramic views whilst crossing the Shipton La (4,125m).
- Remote trails with few other trekkers.
- An authentic, tented Himalayan expedition.
- A fully supported and well-organised tour.
Want more adventure? Combine this trip with one of our other Nepal treks or tours.
This trip is run as a private tour for you and your group.You will find our private tour prices are surprisingly reasonable. We can provide private tours for individuals to groups of one hundred or more. Please contact us with your details to receive a price within 24 hours.
Allow £550-700 for return flights from London or Manchester. To book flights, click here.
There are no other hidden costs. This is the full amount of your holiday.
The best time to travel to Nepal is from March to May and October to December.
A deposit of £200 secures your place on the trip and the balance is due 60 days before the start of the tour. Monthly payment plans can be set up on request. If you book less than 60 days before the start of the trip, then the full amount is due immediately.
Will there be any surcharges or price changes?
Once your deposit has been paid there is a guaranteed no price change. There are no hidden charges or extras, the price we quote you when you book is the price you and your group will be paying.
Extend your trip in Nepal by 2 more weeks
Check the departure dates of our other Nepal tours here. Get a 5% discount off of the lower priced tour when you book two trips for yourself!
If you want to arrive early or depart later then we can arrange accommodation and transport for you. Please contact us with any requests.
UpgradesIf you would like to treat yourself before or after your grand adventure, we are more than happy to arrange alternative accommodation. We also appreciate how lovely a little bit of lavish comfort can be when you are away from home and can recommend the following hotels for a touch of 5-star luxury in Kathmandu.
Day Tours and Extensions to Nepal Trips
Want More Adventure?Explore holy temples or endearing hilltop villages, discover the exotic capital, or seek out nature and tranquillity in the beautiful Himalayan landscape. From bungee jumping and white water rafting to scenic rambles and hidden gems why not extend your trip to make it truly a unique and once in a lifetime trip!
Itinerary and Route
All of our itineraries are meticulously researched and well planned. They are designed to give you the most amounts of fun and excitement, whilst also giving you ample time to relax. Lost Earth Adventures takes the hassle out of organising your trip, leaving you to sit back and enjoy your adventure!
- Day 1: Arrive Kathmandu
- Day 2: Fly to Tumlingtar and drive to Chichila (1,850m)
- Day 3: Trek from Chichila to Num (1,505m)
- Day 4: Trek from Num to Seduwa (1,493m)
- Day 5: Trek from Seduwa to Tashi Gaon (2,057m)
- Day 6: Trek from Tashi Gaon to Kongma (3,562m).
- Day 7: Rest day to acclimatise
- Day 8: Trek from Kongma to Debotay (3,650m) via the Shipton La (4,125m)
- Day 9: Trek from Debotay to Yangle Kharka (3,600m)
- Day 10: Trek from Yangle Kharka to Langmale Kharka (4,200m)
- Day 11: Rest day to acclimatise
- Day 12: Trek from Yangle Kharka to Makalu SE Base Camp (5,000m)
- Day 13: Day hike to 5,500m on Makalu
- Day 14: Trek from Makalu SE Base Camp to Langmale Kharka (4,200m)
- Day 15: Trek from Langmale Kharka to Debotay (3,650)
- Day 16: Trek from Debotay to Tashi Gaon (2,057m)
- Day 17: Trek from Tashi Gaon to Num (1,505m)
- Day 18: Drive from Num to Tumlingtar (518m)
- Day 19: Fly back to Kathmandu
- Day 20: Contingency day/rest day Kathmandu
- Day 21: Depart Kathmandu
Click on the arrows to take a photographic journey through the Makalu-Barun National Park.
Recent Trip Reports
- Read our comprehensive guide to travelling at high altitude.
- 3 nights hotel accommodation in Kathmandu
- 18 nights camping
- Included meals: All meals while trekking, breakfasts in Kathmandu, welcome and farewell dinner in Kathmandu. The food our cooks prepare for you at the camps is brilliant. We use professional cooks rather than just relying on the guide and porters and we buy locally grown produce from the locals where possible. Food is always plentiful, healthy and varied.
- Afternoon tea and biscuits while trekking
- Airport transfers to and from the airport on the first and last day
- All transportation for duration of tour (unless otherwise specified)
- Entrance fees and trekking permits
- Porters and support staff to carry luggage
- 1 fully qualified, first aid trained Trekking Guide
- Satellite phone (to be used for organising logistics and in emergencies)
- Guides will check in with our office to get regular bespoke weather updates and confirm locations
- Financial protection: we are an ABTA and ATOL bonded and insured, UK based tour operator
- Pre-departure support and advice by email, phone and face to face meetings in York if you would like. After booking with us we will send you a highly informative and comprehensive trip information pack
- Remote medical support from specialist doctors
- Small groups. No more than 12 people on a set departure trip
- We don’t force a fast or slow pace. Our teams are supported with plenty of staff so you can walk at your own pace. We let you walk at the pace that is right for you.
- Our guides and porters are paid fairly, properly equipped and fully insured for rescue and medical emergencies
- Map of the trekking area
- Trekking kit bag
- If you’d like to meet some of our team and experience our services beforehand you can join us on one of our UK adventures.
What’s Not Included
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Items of a personal nature (drinks, snacks, souvenirs, etc.)
- Nepalese visa (available to buy on arrival at Kathmandu airport for £20)
- International flights
- Scenic Everest mountain flight
- Tips to porters/local guide
- Airport transfers taken outside of the itinerary’s arrival and departure dates
Travelling to Nepal
You will need a passport with 6-month’s validity and you will need to obtain a Nepalese visa. The easiest way to get the visa is to buy it on entry to Nepal with either dollars or any major currency but not Nepali Rupees. Currently the cost for a single-entry visa valid for 15/30/90 days costs US$25/40/100. You can buy a visa in advance from the Neplese embassy in your home country if they have a location there. It is more expensive than buying it on arrival in Kathmandu and it doesn’t always save you time when you arrive as it is random which queue is longer. You also have to risk sending your passport off and they may take it for several weeks. You will need to buy travel insurance for your trip which you can find out about here. You also need to visit your GP or travel health professional at least 4-6 weeks before your trip to check what vaccinations you need.
For more information about travelling safely and obtaining passports you can see more at the FCO know before you go Travel Aware Campaign.
What Our Guests Say
Groups: Private Treks and Group Tours
Charities, Schools, Military, Private Groups and Tailor Made Trips for Individuals
All our tours can be run privately for you and your group, from solo travellers to groups of over 50. We specialise in organising bespoke tours for groups of friends, charity challenges, school groups, mountaineering clubs, families, and countless others.
Please contact us with your details to receive a price within 24 hours.
We love working with charity challengers! We have our own charity (Share the Load Foundation) and are inspired by your determination to fundraise for worthy causes. That’s why we will do everything we can to help you achieve your goals during a charity challenge. We provide support from start to finish, including fundraising tips, training plans and the very best in-country support.
We believe that the best way for students to develop into global citizens ready to go and conquer the world is to get them out into it as soon as possible. We meticulously plan our itineraries to increase students’ independence and self-belief and develop a sense of social responsibility. UK safety standards and documentation for all activities and a 24 hour UK based operations centre ensure students’ safety and well-being on their Asian Lost Earth Adventure.
We are an Approved Military Contractor and provide many courses, expeditions and adventure training for groups of serving personnel and Cadets.
We understand honeymooners need a bit of champagne sparkle, some celebrations warrant the inclusion of heli-trekking and spa treatments, and that the very active relax with white-water rafting after summiting 6,000m peaks. Decades of research and our extensive in-country network mean anything is possible. Get in touch and we’ll start preparing your perfect adventure.
Information for group leaders & group discounts
Depending on your trip and number of participants, we can offer groups of 10 or more a complimentary place or a discount for all adventurers. Schools trips can benefit from free places for teachers, whilst we can discount rates for charity challenges. Contact us with your details and requirements and we will get a quote to you within one working day.
We also appreciate the effort it takes to coordinate a group of people so in exchange for your efforts, we will give group organisers of 10+ people a £150 Cotswold gift voucher; perfect for kitting yourself out ahead of your big adventure!
All group members receive a complimentary kit bag, t-shirt and a voucher code for 15% off at Cotswold Outdoor.
For Your Information
Health and safety and financial protection
At Lost Earth Adventures, health and safety is our top priority. All our trips are run to UK and international safety standards, and are proud to surpass these standards in many areas. We are an ABTA and ATOL bonded tour operator, ensuring your financial protection.
Full details of our policies and protections are available here.