South East Asian Odyssey
Adventure Holiday beyond the beaten path through Thailand and Laos
3 Week Multi-Activity Tour in South East Asia – Runs Sunday to Saturday
Both set departures and private tours available
Imagine the non-stop action of Bangkok and the glittering temples of Luang Prabang. Discover the mist-shrouded mountains and the peaceful backwaters and villages of Laos. Taste the authentic mouth watering cuisine of Thailand and enjoy the refreshing taste of a cold Beer Laos. Experience the excitement of mountain biking through jungle and coffee plantations, the challenging rush of rock climbing and abseiling and the thrill of kayaking. Be an elephant mahout for a day and learn to cook authentic Thai cuisine. Immerse yourself in the tranquillity of watching as hundreds of saffron-robed monks collect alms from devotees and delight in the friendly and inviting people of Thailand and Laos. The astounding natural beauty, action packed adventure and diverse culture will captivate your soul and leave you yearning for more.
This trip is 21 days and is a longer version of our 15 day South East Asian Explorer. These trips run together at the same time, so this works great if people in your group have different time constraints.
IMPORTANT: All activities on this tour require no previous experience and although included, are optional. Please see the info section below for this trip’s grading.
Welcome to South East Asia, let the adventure begin!
- Ancient ruins of Ayutthaya
- Rock climbing in the Mae On Valley or taking an authentic Thai cookery class
- Mountain bike through coffee plantations or visit a renowned elephant sanctuary
- The lush jungles and mist shrouded mountains of Laos
- Boat trip up the remote Nam Tha
- 2-day village and hill tribe trek
- Kayaking and cliff jumping in Vang Vieng
- UNESCO listed Luang Prabang
- Swim in blue lagoons amongst waterfalls
- Night markets and delicious food!
None – All activities on this tour require no previous experience and although included, are optional. Lost Earth Adventures provides all instruction, equipment and plenty of staff, as well as entertaining alternatives to planned activities. Please see the info section above for this trip’s grading.
Dates and Prices
There are no other hidden costs. This is the full amount of your holiday. For a complete list of what’s included and what’s not included please see the South East Asian Odyssey Dossier (PDF 0.6MB).
This trip is guaranteed to run with a minimum of 4 people.
A deposit of £200 secures your place on the trip, with the balance due 60 days before the start of the tour. Monthly payment plans can be set up on request. If you book less than 60 days before the start of the trip then the full amount is due immediately.
1% of the price listed will be donated to our charity ‘Share the Load Foundation’. For more information about this charity, and what your money will be used for, click here.
We can run this tour as a private trip at any time you like as long as there is a minimum of 6 people in your group. We also have set departures so you can join with a tour on the dates listed below. The best time to travel to Thailand and Laos is from October to April. Contact Us for more information.
|Tour Dates 2016||Date||Availability|
|South East Asian Odyssey||21 February 2016||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|South East Asian Odyssey||23 October 2016||Full||BOOK NOW|
|South East Asian Odyssey||20 November 2016||Full||BOOK NOW|
|Tour Dates 2017||Date||Availability|
|South East Asian Odyssey||19 February 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|South East Asian Odyssey||22 October 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|South East Asian Odyssey||19 November 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
How do I get a discount?
The more people you book at the same time the more of a discount you will get. 4 people you get 5% off. Then you get another percent off for every person above that. So, for 5 people you would get 6% discount, 6 people 7% and so on. If you are coming on a second or third tour you will get a loyalty discount of 5%
Will there be any surcharges or price changes?
We do not impose ‘local payments’ or have any hidden charges. There is a guaranteed ‘no price increase’ in the trip price after you have paid your deposit.
If you would like to arrive early or depart later then we can arrange accommodation and transport for you. Please contact us with any requests.
Activities mentioned in the itinerary though not included in the total price are readily available in the places we visit. Your tour leader can help you arrange these. Listed below are some activities available and a general price guide.
- Tubing £3
- Caving at Vang Vieng (entrance into cave) £0.50-£1 + small fee (£0.75 for local guide – optional)
- Bicycle rental (various locations) £3-£6
- Motorbike rental (various locations) £5-£15 – depending on size/type of bike
- Thai Massage £3-£7/hour
- Massage/Sauna (Luang Prabang) £3-£5/hour
- For a more comprehensive list of what’s available visit our Day Tours and Extensions Page
Itinerary and Route
All of our itineraries are meticulously researched and well planned. They are designed to give you the most amounts of fun and excitement, whilst also giving you ample time to relax. Lost Earth Adventures takes the hassle out of organising your trip, leaving you to sit back and enjoy your adventure!
- Day 1: Arrive in Bangkok
- Day 2: Discover the splendour of Bangkok’s Grand Palace and Temple of the Emerald Buddha
- Day 3: Explore the UNESCO listed ancient city of Ayutthaya
- Day 4: Chiang Mai, wander around the incredible night market and many temples of the ‘jewel of the north’
- Day 5: Rock climbing in the Mae On Valley or experience an authentic Thai cooking class
- Day 6: Mountain biking in Doi Suthep National Park or visit a renowned elephant sanctuary
- Day 7: Through the Golden Triangle and into Laos
- Day 8: Experience an incredible river journey up the remote Nam Tha
- Day 9: Nale to Luang Nam Tha
- Day 10: Nong Khiaw, seek out caves or relax by the river in this sleepy village
- Day 11-13: Trek into the jungle, visiting and staying with Hmong and Khmu hill tribes
- Day 14: Journey up the magnificent Mekong River to UNESCO listed Luang Prabang
- Day 15: Luang Prabang and Kuang Si Waterfall
- Day 16-17: Vang Vieng – explore this adventurer’s playground, climbing, tubing, caving or cycling
- Day 18: Kayak down the dramatic Nam Lik
- Day 19: Overnight train to Bangkok
- Day 20: Bangkok – one last day in this mesmerising city!
- Day 21: Depart for home
Click on the arrows to take a photographic journey through South East Asia.
Whilst trekking in Laos, you will need to carry a small bag with enough clothing for 2 days. The terrain varies through jungle and open paths, but the trekking is not very strenuous.
It has a moderate level of ascents and descents. However, it can get quite hot and humid at times. We trek for a maximum of 4-5 hours per day. There is one grade 2-3 rapid while kayaking, whilst the rest of the time we are on calm water. We use the best safety gear (helmets, life jackets and equipment) and qualified guides. There is extensive travel on rivers throughout Laos – it is their way of life! On most, but not all boats there are life jackets. You must be comfortable and able to swim in water above head height.
As with most things, a certain degree of fitness will make this trip more enjoyable. No previous experience is needed for any of the activities provided on this holiday. It is important to know that on this trip we travel into fairly remote areas with limited infrastructure and facilities, particularly in Laos, where the tourism industry is in its infancy. This is part of the joy and reality of adventure travel in developing countries.
- 11 nights guesthouse accommodation
- 4 nights hotel accommodation
- 3 nights home-stay accommodation
- 2 overnight 1st class AC sleeper trains
- Meals as detailed in trip dossier (B=breakfast, L=lunch, D=Dinner)
- Airport transfers to and from the airport on the first and last day
- All transportation for duration of tour (unless otherwise specified)
- Entrance fee and guided tour to Wat Phra Kaew and Grand Palace
- Bicycle rental in Ayutthaya
- Admission to Kuang Si Waterfalls
- 1-day rock climbing in Mae On Valley (including all equipment and qualified guides) or 1-day Thai Cooking Class
- 1-day mountain biking in Doi Suthep National Park (including guide, equipment and national park fee) or 1-day at an Elephant Sanctuary (including transport and guide)
- 1-day kayaking on Nam Lik
- 1 Fully Qualified, First Aid trained Western Leader
- 1 English speaking local guide
- Thuraya satellite phone (to be used for organising logistics and in emergencies)
- Guides will check in daily with our UK office to get regular bespoke weather updates and confirm locations
- Financial protection: we are a fully bonded and insured UK based tour operator
- Pre-departure support and advice by email, phone and face to face meetings in York if you would like. After booking with us we will send you a highly informative and comprehensive trip information pack
- Remote medical support from specialist doctors
- Small groups. No more than 12 people on a set departure trip
- We don’t force a fast or slow pace. Our teams are supported with two leaders so you can walk/ride at your own pace. We let you explore at a pace that is right for you.
- Photo book
- Our guides and porters are paid fairly and properly equipped
- If you’d like to meet some of our team and experience our services beforehand you can join us on one of our UK adventures.
What’s Not Included
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Items of a personal nature (drinks, snacks, souvenirs, etc.)
- International flights
- Laos visa (Available to buy for $35 USD on arrival at Laos border)
- Entrance fees in Ayutthaya (admission ranges from free to £1)
- Activities not included in itinerary (i.e. cycling, caving, climbing, tubing in Vang Vieng)
- Tips to local guides
- Airport transfers taken outside of the itinerary’s arrival and departure dates