Northern Laos Adventure
Highlights of Northern Laos
A 10-day Multi-Activity Holiday in the land of 1000 Elephants
Both set departures and private tours available
Discover the UNESCO World Heritage listed town, Luang Prabang, explore a 7-tiered waterfall surrounded by lush tropical jungle, cycle and kayak in Vang Vieng and experience authentic Laos culture trekking from village to village in this exciting 10 day adventure!
IMPORTANT: All activities on this tour require no previous experience and although included, are optional. Please see the info section below for this trip’s grading.
Welcome to Laos, let the adventure begin!
- Discover the ornate temples and architecture of UNESCO World Heritage Listed city, Luang Prabang
- Kayak along the Nam Lik
- Explore vast caves throughout the countryside
- Cycling on paths through the jungle and limestone peaks of Vang Vieng
- Village to village trekking off the beaten path
- Explore the spectacular Kuang-Si Waterfall and swim in its aqua blue pools
None – All activities on this tour require no previous experience and although included, are optional. Lost Earth Adventures provides all instruction, equipment and plenty of staff, as well as entertaining alternatives to planned activities. Please see the info section above for this trip’s grading.
Want more adventure? Combine this tour with one of our other trips to South East Asia
Dates and Prices
Allow £500-600 for return flights from London or Manchester. Add an extra £90 for return flights to Vientiane (if you choose the flying option). For information on flying in South East Asia visit our flight information page.
We accept foreign payments, please click here for details.
There are no other hidden costs. This is the full amount of your holiday.
For all of your flying requirements please click here.
We can run this tour as a private trip at any time you like as long as there is a minimum of 2 people in your group. We also have set departures so you can join with a tour on the dates listed below. The best time to travel to Laos is from November to April. Contact Us for more information.
|Tour Dates 2016||Date||Availability|
|Northern Laos Adventure||04 January 2016||Full||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||18 January 2016||Full||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||01 February 2016||Full||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||13 February 2016||Full||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||29 February 2016||Full||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||14 March 2016||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||28 March 2016||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||3 October 2016||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||17 October 2016||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||31 October 2016||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||14 November 2016||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||28 November 2016||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||12 December 2016||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||19 December 2016||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Tour Dates 2017||Date||Availability|
|Northern Laos Adventure||16 January 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||06 February 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||20 February 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||13 March 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||2 October 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||16 October 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||30 October 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||13 November 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||27 November 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||11 December 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Northern Laos Adventure||18 December 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
Deposit of £200 per person secures your place on the trip and the balance is due 60 days before the start of the tour. Monthly payment plans can be set up on request. If you book less than 60 days before the start of the trip then the full amount is due immediately.
How do I get a discount?
The more people you book at the same time the more of a discount you will get. 4 people you get 5% off. Then you get another percent off for every person above that. So, for 5 people you would get 6% discount, 6 people 7% and so on.
If you are coming on a second or third tour you will get a loyalty discount of 5%
Will there be any surcharges or price changes?
We do not impose ‘local payments’ or have any hidden charges. There is a guaranteed ‘no price increase’ in the trip price after you have paid your deposit.
If you want to arrive early or depart later then we can arrange accommodation and transport for you. Please contact us with any requests.
Activities mentioned in the itinerary though not included in the total price are readily available in the places we visit. Your tour leader can help you arrange these. Listed below are some activities available and a general price guide.
- Tubing £3
- Caving at Vang Vieng (entrance into cave) £0.50-£1 + small fee (£0.50 for local guide – optional)
- Bicycle rental (various locations) £3-£6
- Motorbike rental (various locations) £5-£15 – depending on size/type of bike
- Thai Massage £3-£7/hour
- Massage/Sauna (Luang Prabang) £3-£5/hour
- For more ideas of what’s available, visit our Day Tours and Extensions Page
Itinerary: 10-Day Northern Laos Adventure
All of our itineraries are meticulously researched and well planned. They are designed to give you the most amounts of fun and excitement, whilst also giving you ample time to relax. Lost Earth Adventures takes the hassle out of organising your trip, leaving you to sit back and enjoy your adventure!
- Day 1: Arrive Bangkok A free day to explore this iconic capital (overnight train)
- Optional – Take a flight to Vientiane and we’ll pick you up at the airport and provide accommodation in Laos for no extra charge. This will save you the overnight on a train.
- Day 2: Vang Vieng (free day) An afternoon to explore this laid back adventurer’s enclave
- Day 3: Cycling around Vang Vieng Ride on trails through lush jungle, surrounded by impressive limestone mountains
- Day 4: Kayak the Nam Lik A scenic kayak leads to an exciting but optional grade 2 rapid finale!
- Day 5: Luang Prabang Discover why this town is a UNESCO listed World Heritage Site and wander through its fantastic markets
- Day 6-7: Village-to-Village Trekking Trek beyond the beaten path, staying in local homestays with indigenous Laotians.
- Day 8: Explore Kuang Si Waterfalls Swim in the cascading turquoise pools and marvel at the 7-tiered waterfall at Kuang Si
- Day 9: Private transport to Vientienne Overnight train to Bangkok
- Optional – Take a flight to Bangkok and we’ll drop you off at vientiane airport and provide accommodation in Laos for no extra charge. This will save you the overnight on a train.
- Day 10: Arrive in Bangkok Depart for home
Click on the arrows below to take a photographic adventure through Northern Laos.
We use the best safety gear (helmets, life jackets and equipment) and qualified guides. You must be comfortable and able to swim in water above head height.
The cycling is on dirt roads with little traffic through the countryside with little ups and downs and is suitable for anybody that can ride a bicycle. If you are an experienced rider there are options to challenge yourself.
As with most things, a certain degree of fitness will make this trip more enjoyable. No previous experience is needed for any of the activities provided on this holiday. It is important to know that on this trip we travel into fairly remote areas with limited infrastructure and facilities, particularly in Laos, where the tourism industry is in its infancy. This is part of the joy and reality of adventure travel in developing countries.
See here for more information on Laos and Thailand.
- English speaking local guide while in Laos
- Transportation as described in itinerary
- All activities mentioned – biking, trekking, kayaking and caving
- Some but not all meals (for example lunch while biking and kayaking is included, as well as 4 meals while trekking)
- Accommodation for duration of tour, not including Bangkok (accommodation ranges from guesthouses in Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang and a simple room in a local homestay while trekking to 2 nights in an a/c sleeper train from Bangkok to Vientiane). If you choose to fly into Vientiane then you receive 2 nights guest house accommodation instead of the train journey.
- Guides will check in daily with our UK office to get regular bespoke weather updates and confirm locations
- Financial protection: we are a fully bonded and insured UK based tour operator
- Pre-departure support and advice by email, phone and face to face meetings in York if you would like. After booking with us we will send you a highly informative and comprehensive trip information pack
- Remote medical support from specialist doctors
- Our guides and porters are paid fairly and properly equipped
- If you’d like to meet some of our team and experience our services beforehand you can join us on one of our UK adventures.
What’s Not Included
- Items of a personal nature, such as drinks and souvenirs
- Meals not mentioned in “What’s Included”
- Visa for Laos (available to buy on arrival at the border for $30-45 USD – depending on nationality)