Manaslu Circuit Trek
Tea House Trekking Along Part of the Great Himalaya Trail
Tour Runs for 16 days – Both set departures and private expeditions available
Longer itineraries available on request
Experience the majestic beauty of the Manaslu Massif in this remote mountain trek. Hike along an ancient salt-trading route along the wild rapids of the Bhuri Gandhaki River and discover the splendour of pine, bamboo and rhododendron forests. Traverse mani walls, explore monasteries and gain insight into a culturally fascinating region. Trek over a breathtaking high mountain pass, walk over glacial terrain and discover why Manaslu, the 8th highest peak in the world is known as the mountain of the spirit.
This remote mountain haven and conservation area is home to the endangered snow leopard and was only opened to trekkers in 1992. The route has only just become available to do as a teahouse trek and is part of The Great Himalayan Trail. A spectacular alternative to the Annapurna Circuit or Khumbu region, the dramatic landscape of the Manaslu Circuit is a trek truly off the beaten track.
IMPORTANT: By using local teahouses, instead of camping (which has been the traditional means of accommodation in the past) we are directly contributing to livelihoods of those living within the Manaslu and Annapurna Conservation areas. Staying in teahouses is environmentally more sound than staying in tented campsites along with the added benefit of warmth and comfort. Tented expeditions often bury their waste and pollute the ground. Staying in local teahouses also ensures that we use and eat a variety of fresh, homegrown local products, instead of bringing our supplies from Kathmandu and other areas.
For a full list of what is included download the Manaslu Circuit Trek dossier
Welcome to Nepal, let the adventure begin!
- Part of The Great Himalaya Trail
- Trek to Manaslu Base Camp
- Circumnavigating Manaslu (8156m) – the 8th highest mountain in the world
- A culturally fascinating region with Tibetan and Gurung influences
- Fully supported teahouse trekking
- Spectacular mountain views and the high pass, Larkya La (5125m)
- A superb trek that is truly off the beaten path, featuring a diverse and impressive array of flora, fauna and cultivated land
- 4×4 Jeep trip crossing the Himalaya
Want more adventure? Combine this tour with one of our other trips or treks to Nepal for an outstanding 31-day holiday!
Dates and Prices
Food is now included on all treks and trip inclusions have been revised on 20/12/2016
Allow £550-700 for return flights from London or Manchester. For all of your flying requirements please click here.
There are no other hidden costs. This is the full amount of your holiday. For a full list of what is included download the Manaslu Circuit Trek dossier
We can run this tour as a private trip at any time you like. If you have a group smaller than 4 people there may be a surcharge, please contact us for more information. The best time to travel to Nepal is from March to May and October to December.
Set Departure / Open Group Event Dates
|25 Mar 2017||Full||BOOK NOW|
|08 Apr 2017||Full||BOOK NOW|
|22 Apr 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|08 Oct 2017||Guaranteed
|28 Oct 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|11 Nov 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
A deposit of £200 secures your place on the trip and the balance is due 60 days before the start of the tour. Monthly payment plans can be set up on request. If you book less than 60 days before the start of the trip then the full amount is due immediately.
If you are a previous client of Lost Earth Adventures you will receive a loyalty discount of 5%.
Will there be any surcharges or price changes?
We reserve the right to change our prices until the moment you pay your deposit. Once your deposit has been paid there is a guaranteed no price change. There are no hidden charges or extras, the price we quote you when you book is the price you and your group will be paying.
Follow the Great Himalayan Trail and Trek to the Langtang Valley
Why not extend your trip to include another breathtaking section of the Great Himalayan Trail by joining our guided treks to the fascinating Langtang Valley and holy Gosainkund Lakes? We have both fixed and flexible departure dates and the trek can be done before or after the Manaslu Circuit.
Extend your trip in Nepal by 2 more weeks
Check the departure dates of our other Nepal tours here. Get a 5% discount off of the lower priced tour when you book two trips for yourself!
Single Traveller?We don’t charge a single supplement fee if you’re a solo traveller. Our prices are based on staying in twin share rooms with a member of the same sex or your travelling companion. If you wish to stay in your own room there will be a £220 charge for this trip. In some circumstances single rooms may not be available for example the night at Dharamsala when we cross the pass you will probably have to share a room. In all the other villages we have never had a problem before arranging private accommodation but situations change constantly in the mountains.
If you want to arrive early or depart later then we can arrange accommodation and transport for you. Please contact us with any requests.
If you would like to treat yourself before or after your grand adventure, we are more than happy to arrange alternative accommodation. We also appreciate how lovely a little bit of lavish comfort can be when you are away from home and can recommend the following hotels for a touch of 5-star luxury in Kathmandu.
Day Tours and Extensions to Nepal Trips
Want More Adventure?Explore holy temples or endearing hilltop villages, discover the exotic capital, or seek out nature and tranquility in the beautiful Himalayan landscape. From bungee jumping and white water rafting to scenic rambles and hidden gems why not extend your trip to make it truly a unique and once in a lifetime trip!
Itinerary and Route
All of our itineraries are meticulously researched and well planned. They are designed to give you the most amounts of fun and excitement, whilst also giving you ample time to relax. Lost Earth Adventures takes the hassle out of organising your trip, leaving you to sit back and enjoy your adventure!
- Day 1: Arrive Kathmandu
- Day 2: 4×4 Jeep to Soti Khola (800m)
- Day 3: Soti Khola to Machha Khola (890m) Trek along the Bhuri Gandaki River on an ancient salt trading route
- Day 4: Machha Khola to Jagat (1410m) Trek into a gorge, with jungle and langur monkeys high above the trail
- Day 5: Jagat to Deng (1800m) Continue through terraced fields, bamboo forests and into the Nupri
- Day 6: Deng to Namrung (2660m) Pass along intricately hand carved mani walls and colourful rhododendrons
- Day 7: Namrung to Lho Gham (3180m) Trek into the alpine and see spectacular views of Manaslu and Manaslu North
- Day 8: Lho Gham to Samagaon (3530m) A short day through a splendid gully or for a more challenging option we can walk to Pungyen Gompa en-route to Samagaon.
- Day 9: Samagaon (rest day) Trek to Manaslu Base Camp or Pungyen Gompa and Birendra Tal.
- Day 10: Samagaon to Samdo (3860)m A village with 3 valleys converging upon it, known for its yak herding.
- Day 11: Samdo to Larkya Phedi (4480m) Pass along a glacier to a dramatic gorge
- Day 12: Larkya Phedi to Bimthang (3720m) – climb the Larkya La (5100m) A challenging day over the high Larkya La
- Day 13: Bimthang to Tilje (2300m) Outstanding views of Manaslu, inspiring forest and the valley below
- Day 14: Tilje – Chamche (1410m) Descend into the Marsygandi Valley, meeting up with the classic Annapurna Trail
- Day 15: Jeep drive to Kathmandu a private jeep back to the capital
- Day 16:Depart Kathmandu
Thank you to Bob Marshall for some of these photos. Read about Bob’s trek with us on his website.
Click on the arrows below to take a photographic journey around Manaslu.
Recent Trip Reports
- Manaslu Trek Report Dec 2012
- Manaslu Trek Report March 2014
- Manaslu Trail Assessment April 2016
- Manaslu Circuit Blog Post April 2016
- Read our comprehensive guide to travelling at high altitude
- 1 Fully qualified, first aid trained Leader
- 2 nights hotel accommodation in Kathmandu
- 13 nights teahouse accommodation
- Included meals: All meals while trekking, breakfasts in Kathmandu, welcome and farewell dinner in Kathmandu. The food available in the tea houses is brilliant and there is a large selection of western, Chinese and Nepalese food available for you to choose from. We do not want you to be restricted in what you eat and want you to enjoy the vast menus and locally grown produce of the tea houses. We will let you eat whatever you want from the menu at meal times.
- Airport transfers to and from the airport on the first and last day
- Private transportation for duration of tour
- Entrance fees and trekking permits
- Porters for trekking through Manaslu and Annapurna National Parks
- Map of the route
- Thuraya satellite phone (to be used for organising logistics and in emergencies)
- Guides will check in daily with our UK office to get regular bespoke weather updates and confirm locations
- Financial protection: we are a fully bonded and insured UK based tour operator
- Pre-departure support and advice by email, phone and face to face meetings in York if you would like. After booking with us we will send you a highly informative and comprehensive trip information pack
- Remote medical support from specialist doctors
- Small groups. No more than 12 people on a set departure trip
- We don’t force a fast or slow pace. Our teams are supported with two leaders so you can walk at your own pace. We let you walk at the pace that is right for you.
- Our guides and porters are paid fairly, properly equipped and fully insured for rescue and medical emergencies
- Trekking kit bag
- If you’d like to meet some of our team and experience our services beforehand you can join us on one of our UK adventures.
What’s Not Included
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Items of a personal nature (drinks, snacks, souvenirs, etc.)
- Nepalese visa (Available to buy for $30 USD on arrival in Nepal)
- International flights
- Scenic Everest mountain flight
- Airport transfers taken outside of the itinerary’s arrival and departure dates
- Tips to porters/local guide
For a full list of what is included download the Manaslu Circuit Trek dossier
What Our Guests Say
Angelika Egger and Dom Goff
Angelika and Dom liked the trip so much they got engaged to be married at 5,200m on the Larkya La. Congratulations guys! You can read more about their story here.
Read what photographer Bob Marshall thought of the trek on his website.
Trekking the Manaslu Circuit