Langtang Trek to the Last Shangri La
Beyond the Beaten Path Adventure into the Langtang Valley
From £1495-£1595, Tour Runs Sunday to Sunday, 15 days – Both set departures and private expeditions available
A land of intrigue and mystique, of yaks and yetis, and of the greatest mountain range in the world, the mighty Himalaya, Nepal is a country that will inspire and enchant! Hike to the majestic Langtang Valley, through spectacular alpine meadows, past raging glacial fed rivers, experiencing traditional Tamang culture along the way. Wander through the chaotic streets of Kathmandu and find calm and tranquility within the temples and monasteries. Nepal, a country of astounding natural beauty, and warm, hospitable people is truly the last Shangri-La.
IMPORTANT: By staying at family run teahouses, instead of camping we are directly contributing to livelihoods of those living within the Langtang Conservation Area (it is also vastly more comfortable). Staying in teahouses is environmentally more sound than staying in tented campsites along with the added benefit of warmth and comfort. Tented expeditions often bury their waste and pollute the ground and miss out on the experience of meeting the host families. Staying in local teahouses also ensures that we eat a variety of fresh, homegrown, and hygienic meals.
Welcome to Nepal, let the adventure begin!
- Trek into the secluded and beautiful Langtang Valley
- Hike up 5000m peaks
- Experience traditional Tamang culture
- The UNESCO Kathmandu Valley and Temples
- 4×4 Jeep trip into the Himalayas
- A fully supported and well-organised expedition
- Part of The Great Himalaya Trail
Want more adventure? Combine this trip with one of our other Nepal treks or tours
Dates and Prices
Open Group Events: £1595 Private Tour Prices: from £1495 (dependent on group size)Please contact us with your requirements to receive a private group price within 24-hours. We can provide private tours from individuals to groups of one hundred or more and prices are quite reasonable.
Allow £550-700 for return flights from London or Manchester. To book flights, click here.
Runs Sunday to Sunday, 15 days
There are no other hidden costs. This is the full amount of your holiday. This trip is guaranteed to run with a minimum of 2 people.
You will find our private tour prices are surprisingly reasonable. We can provide private tours for individuals to groups of one hundred or more. Please contact us with your details to receive a price within 24 hours.
Set Departure / Open Group Event Dates
|Tour Dates 2018||Availability||BOOK NOW|
|30 Sep 2018||Full||BOOK NOW|
|07 Oct 2018||Full||BOOK NOW|
|28 Oct 2018||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|04 Nov 2018||Full||BOOK NOW|
|Tour Dates 2019||Availability||BOOK NOW|
|31 Mar 2019||Full||BOOK NOW|
|07 Apr 2019||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|20 Oct 2019||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|03 Nov 2019||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
A deposit of £200 secures your place on the trip and the balance is due 60 days before the start of the tour. Monthly payment plans can be set up on request. If you book less than 60 days before the start of the trip then the full amount is due immediately.
If you are a previous client of Lost Earth Adventures you will receive a loyalty discount of 5%.
Will there be any surcharges or price changes?
Once your deposit has been paid there is a guaranteed no price change. There are no hidden charges or extras, the price we quote you when you book is the price you and your group will be paying.
Extend your trip in Nepal by 2 more weeks
Check the departure dates of our other Nepal tours here. Get a 5% discount off of the lower priced tour when you book two trips for yourself!
If you want to arrive early or depart later then we can arrange accommodation and transport for you. Please contact us with any requests.
UpgradesIf you would like to treat yourself before or after your grand adventure, we are more than happy to arrange alternative accommodation. We also appreciate how lovely a little bit of lavish comfort can be when you are away from home and can recommend the following hotels for a touch of 5-star luxury in Kathmandu.
Day Tours and Extensions to Nepal Trips
Want More Adventure?Explore holy temples or endearing hilltop villages, discover the exotic capital, or seek out nature and tranquility in the beautiful Himalayan landscape. From bungee jumping and white water rafting to scenic rambles and hidden gems why not extend your trip to make it truly a unique and once in a lifetime trip!
Itinerary and Route
All of our itineraries are meticulously researched and well planned. They are designed to give you the most amounts of fun and excitement, whilst also giving you ample time to relax. Lost Earth Adventures takes the hassle out of organising your trip, leaving you to sit back and enjoy your adventure!
- Day 1: Arrive Kathmandu
- Day 2: UNESCO Kathmandu Valley 3 temples tour
- Day 3: 4×4 Jeep trip through the Himalayas
- Day 4: Trek Syabrubesi to Changtang (2,410m)
- Day 5: Trek Changtang to Langtang Village or Mondu (3,330m)
- Day 6: Trek to Kyanjin Gompa (3,860m) with an optional trek to see cascading glaciers, or go in search of the elusive yeti!
- Day 7: Rest day or climb Kyanjin Ri (4,784m) or Tserko Ri (4,984m) and return to Kyanjin Gompa
- Day 8: Trek from Kyanjin Gompa to Riverside (2,430m)
- Day 9: Trek from Riverside to Thulo Syaphru (2,210m)
- Day 10: Trek from Thulo Syaphru to Cholongpati (3,654m)
- Day 11: Trek from Cholongpati to Gosainkund Lakes (4,287m) then to Chandanbari (3,330m)
- Day 12: Trek from Chandanbari to Dhunche (2,030m)
- Day 13: Return to Kathmandu
- Day 14: Free day in Kathmandu
- Day 15: Depart Kathmandu
Click on the arrows to take a photographic journey through the Langtang Valley.
We trek into a fairly remote part of Nepal at higher altitudes than you are maybe used to. There are a variety of steep ascents and descents, and we sometimes trek for up to 6-9 hours per day. As with most things a certain degree of fitness will make this trip more enjoyable.
Recent Trip Reports
- Langtang Trek Report Sept 2011
- Langtang Trek Report Feb 2012
- Langtang Trek Report June 2012
- Langtang Trek Report Dec 2012
- Langtang Trek Report Oct 2013
- Langtang Trek Report April 2016
- Read our comprehensive guide to travelling at high altitude.
- 4 nights hotel accommodation in Kathmandu
- 10 nights teahouse accommodation
- Included meals: All meals while trekking, breakfasts in Kathmandu, welcome and farewell dinner in Kathmandu. The food available in the tea houses is brilliant, there is a large selection of western, Chinese and Nepalese food available for you to choose from. We do not want you to be restricted in your menu choices and want you to enjoy the vast menus and locally grown produce of the tea houses. We will let you choose whatever meal you want from the menus at meal times.
- Airport transfers to and from the airport on the first and last day
- All transportation for duration of tour (unless otherwise specified)
- Entrance fees and trekking permits
- Porters and support staff to carry luggage
- 1 fully qualified, first aid trained Trekking Guide
- Sufficient means of communication. Satellite phones can be rented on request for £10 per day.
- Guides will check in with our office to get regular bespoke weather updates and confirm locations
- Financial protection: we are an ABTA and ATOL bonded and insured, UK based tour operator
- Pre-departure support and advice by email, phone and face to face meetings in York if you would like. After booking with us we will send you a highly informative and comprehensive trip information pack
- Remote medical support from specialist doctors
- Small groups. No more than 12 people on a set departure trip
- We don’t force a fast or slow pace. We support our treks with plenty of staff so we let you walk at the pace that is right for you.
- Our guides and porters are paid fairly, properly equipped and fully insured for rescue and medical emergencies
- Guided tour of the 3 temples of Kathmandu
- Map of the Langtang Valley
- Trekking kit bag
- If you’d like to meet some of our team and experience our services beforehand you can join us on one of our UK adventures.
What’s Not Included
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Items of a personal nature (drinks, snacks, souvenirs, etc.)
- Nepalese visa (available to buy on arrival at Kathmandu airport for £20)
- International flights
- Scenic Everest mountain flight
- Tips to porters/local guide
- Airport transfers taken outside of the itinerary’s arrival and departure dates
Travelling to Nepal
You will need a passport with 6-month’s validity and you will need to obtain a Nepalese visa. The easiest way to get the visa is to buy it on entry to Nepal with either dollars or any major currency but not Nepali Rupees. Currently the cost for a single-entry visa valid for 15/30/90 days costs US$25/40/100. You can buy a visa in advance from the Neplese embassy in your home country if they have a location there. It is more expensive than buying it on arrival in Kathmandu and it doesn’t always save you time when you arrive as it is random which queue is longer. You also have to risk sending your passport off and they may take it for several weeks. You will need to buy travel insurance for your trip which you can find out about here. You also need to visit your GP or travel health professional at least 4-6 weeks before your trip to check what vaccinations you need.
For more information about travelling safely and obtaining passports you can see more at the FCO know before you go Travel Aware Campaign.
What Our Guests Say
Trekking in the Langtang Valley
Groups: Private Treks and Group Tours
Charities, Schools, Military, Private Groups and Tailor Made Trips for Individuals
All our tours can be run privately for you and your group, from solo travellers to groups of over 50. We specialise in organising bespoke tours for groups of friends, charity challenges, school groups, mountaineering clubs, families, and countless others.
Please contact us with your details to receive a price within 24 hours.
We love working with charity challengers! We have our own charity (Share the Load Foundation) and are inspired by your determination to fundraise for worthy causes. That’s why we will do everything we can to help you achieve your goals during a charity challenge. We provide support from start to finish, including fundraising tips, training plans and the very best in-country support.
We believe that the best way for students to develop into global citizens ready to go and conquer the world is to get them out into it as soon as possible. We meticulously plan our itineraries to increase students’ independence and self-belief and develop a sense of social responsibility. UK safety standards and documentation for all activities and a 24 hour UK based operations centre ensure students’ safety and well-being on their Asian Lost Earth Adventure.
We are an Approved Military Contractor and provide many courses, expeditions and adventure training for groups of serving personnel and Cadets.
We understand honeymooners need a bit of champagne sparkle, some celebrations warrant the inclusion of heli-trekking and spa treatments, and that the very active relax with white-water rafting after summiting 6,000m peaks. Decades of research and our extensive in-country network mean anything is possible. Get in touch and we’ll start preparing your perfect adventure.
Information for group leaders & group discounts
Depending on your trip and number of participants, we can offer groups of 10 or more a complimentary place or a discount for all adventurers. Schools trips can benefit from free places for teachers, whilst we can discount rates for charity challenges. Contact us with your details and requirements and we will get a quote to you within one working day.
We also appreciate the effort it takes to coordinate a group of people so in exchange for your efforts, we will give group organisers of 10+ people a £150 Cotswold gift voucher; perfect for kitting yourself out ahead of your big adventure!
All group members receive a complimentary kit bag, t-shirt and a voucher code for 15% off at Cotswold Outdoor.
For Your Information
Health and safety and financial protection
At Lost Earth Adventures, health and safety is our top priority. All our trips are run to UK and international safety standards, and are proud to surpass these standards in many areas. We are an ABTA and ATOL bonded tour operator, ensuring your financial protection.
Full details of our policies and protections are available here.