Laos Nam Tha Explorer
Authentic Adventure Tour Through the Mountains of Northern Laos
10-day multi-activity Holiday in the Golden Triangle
Set departures and private trips available
Discover Luang Prabang, which, with its world-class night market and charming streets, continues to be a perennial favourite. Venture to the enchanting Kuang Si Waterfalls and swim in its refreshing and vibrant turquoise pools. Be in awe of the towering limestone mountains surrounding Nong Khiaw and travel the rivers of this beautiful landlocked country. Explore the wild and diverse terrain of the Nam Ha Protected Area, trekking and paddling through a region with over 24 ethnic groups and a fantastic array of flora and fauna. Visit the dramatic caves inhabited by hundreds of locals during the “Secret War” and be immersed in the relaxed, welcoming Laos way of life. This is a stunning part of the world and one of the last untouched destinations, not to be missed!
IMPORTANT: All activities on this tour require no previous experience and although included, are optional. Please see the info section below for this trip’s grading.
Welcome to Laos, let the adventure begin!
- 3 days trekking and kayaking in the beautiful and culturally diverse Nam Ha Protected Area
- Swim in the turquoise pools of Kuang Si Waterfalls or experience an authentic Laos cooking class
- Visit vast and historic cave networks and explore the towering limestone mountains of Northern Laos
- Spectacular boat trip on the Nam Ou and Mekong
- Village home stays with the Lanten and Khmu
- Night markets and delicious food!
- UNESCO World Heritage Listed Luang Prabang
- Authentic insight into a destination off the beaten path
None – All activities on this tour require no previous experience and although included, are optional. Lost Earth Adventures provides all instruction, equipment and plenty of staff, as well as alternatives to planned activities. Please see the info section above for this trip’s grading.
Want more adventure? Combine this tour with one of our other trips to South East Asia
Dates and Prices
Allow £650-£750 for return flights from London or Manchester. For all of your flying requirements please click here.
We also accept foreign payments, please click here for details.
There are no other hidden costs. This is the full amount of your holiday.
This trip is guaranteed to run with a minimum of 4 people.
A deposit of £200 secures your place on the trip, with the balance due 60 days before the start of the tour. Monthly payment plans can be set up on request. If you book less than 60 days before the start of the trip then the full amount is due immediately.
We can run this tour as a private trip at any time you like as long as there is a minimum of 4 people in your group. We also have set departures so you can join with a tour on the dates listed below. The best time to travel to Laos is from October to April. Contact Us for more information.
|Tour Dates 2016||Date||Availability||Laos Nam Tha Explorer||19 December 2016||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Tour Dates 2017||Date||Availability|
|Laos Nam Tha Explorer||02 January 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Laos Nam Tha Explorer||16 January 2017||Full||BOOK NOW|
|Laos Nam Tha Explorer||06 February 2017||Full||BOOK NOW|
|Laos Nam Tha Explorer||25 February 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Laos Nam Tha Explorer||13 March 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Laos Nam Tha Explorer||9 October 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Laos Nam Tha Explorer||30 October 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Laos Nam Tha Explorer||27 November 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Laos Nam Tha Explorer||11 December 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
|Laos Nam Tha Explorer||18 December 2017||Guaranteed||BOOK NOW|
How do I get a discount?
The more people you book at the same time the more of a discount you will get. 5 people you get 6% off. Then you get another percent off for every person above that. So, for 6 people you would get 7% discount, 7 people 8% and so on. If you are coming on a second or third tour you will get a loyalty discount of 5%
Will there be any surcharges or price changes?
We do not impose ‘local payments’ or have any hidden charges. There is a guaranteed ‘no price increase’ in the trip price after you have paid your deposit.
We don’t charge a single supplement fee if you’re a solo traveller. Our prices are based on staying in twin rooms with a member of the same sex or your partner. If you wish to stay in your own room there will be a £145 charge for this trip. In some circumstances single rooms may not be available for example when we stay in small villages and home stays where there is limited accommodation. We will always try to meet your requirements.
If you would like to arrive early or depart later then we can arrange accommodation and transport for you. Please contact us with any requests.
Activities mentioned in the itinerary though not included in the total price are readily available in the places we visit. Your tour leader can help you arrange these. Listed below are some activities available and a general price guide.
- Caving at Nong Khiaw (entrance into cave) £0.50-£1 + small fee (£0.75 for local guide – optional)
- Bicycle rental (various locations) £3-£6
- Motorbike rental (various locations) £5-£15 – depending on size/type of bike
- Laos Massage £4-£7/hour
- Massage/Sauna (Luang Prabang) £3-£5/hour
- For a more comprehensive list of what’s available visit our Day Tours and Extensions Page
Itinerary and Route
All of our itineraries are meticulously researched and well planned. They are designed to give you the most amounts of fun and excitement, whilst also giving you ample time to relax. Lost Earth Adventures takes the hassle out of organising your trip, leaving you to sit back and enjoy your adventure!
- Day 1: Arrive in Luang Prabang
- Day 2: Explore and swim in the 7-tiered waterfalls at Kuang Si or experience an authentic Laos cooking class, visiting local markets
- Day 3: Scenic mountain drive to Luang Nam Tha
- Day 4-5: Trekking through the vibrant hills and forest of the Nam Ha Protected Area, staying overnight in Lanten and Khmu home stays
- Day 6: Kayak the gentle waters of the Nam Tha river and experience local river life
- Day 7: A scenic drive to Nong Khiaw
- Day 8: A free day in Nong Khiaw to explore historic and impressive caves, walk amongst the verdant rice paddies and dramatic limestone mountains. Or simply relax in this perfect riverside village
- Day 9: Experience an incredible river journey up the Nam Ou and Mekong
- Day 10: Depart Luang Prabang
Click on the arrows to take a photographic journey through Laos.
It has a moderate level of ascents and descents. However, it can get quite hot and humid at times. There is one grade 1-2 rapid while kayaking, whilst the rest of the time we are on calm water.
We use the best safety gear (helmets, life jackets and equipment) and qualified guides. There is extensive travel on rivers throughout Laos – it is their way of life! On most, but not all boats there are life jackets. You must be comfortable and able to swim in water above head height.
As with most things, a certain degree of fitness will make this trip more enjoyable. No previous experience is needed for any of the activities provided on this holiday. It is important to know that on this trip we travel into fairly remote areas with limited infrastructure and facilities, particularly in Laos, where the tourism industry is in its infancy. This is part of the joy and reality of adventure travel in developing countries.
See here for more information on Laos.
- 7 nights guesthouse accommodation
- 2 nights home stay accommodation
- Breakfast x 5, Lunch x 4, Dinner x 4
- Airport transfers to and from the airport on the first and last day
- All transportation for duration of tour (unless otherwise specified)
- Bicycle rental in Nong Khiaw
- Admission to Kuang Si Waterfalls or 1-day Laos cooking class
- 1-day kayaking on Nam Tha
- 2 days trekking in the Nam Ha Protected Area
- 1 Fully qualified, experienced and first aid trained English speaking local guide
- Small groups. No more than 12 people on a set departure trip
- Pre-departure support and advice by email, phone and face to face meetings in York if you would like. After booking with us we will send you a highly informative and comprehensive trip information pack
- Remote medical support from specialist doctors
- Financial protection: we are a fully bonded and insured UK based tour operator
- Photo book
- If you’d like to meet some of our team and experience our services beforehand you can join us on one of our UK adventures.
What’s Not Included
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Items of a personal nature (drinks, snacks, souvenirs, etc.)
- International flights
- Laos visa (Available to buy for $35 USD on arrival at Laos border)
- Activities not included in itinerary (i.e. caving in Nong Khiaw
- Tips to local guides