Mountain Bike the Annapurna Circuit
The Ultimate Himalayan Adventure Ride
15-Day Tour – Bespoke Trips Run at Your Convenience
The world’s longest mountain bike descent, earth’s greatest mountain range and the deepest gorge on the planet. Are you ready to take on the most epic mountain bike ride of your life?
Physically challenging and unbelievably rewarding, this is the ride to end all rides. Gruelling ascents take you to the top of one of the highest passes in the Himalaya, the Thorung La (5,416m). From here, 4,530m of uninterrupted descent is laid out before you in a delicious banquet of the world’s best high altitude single track and forest trails. Just don’t forget to look up, you’re riding in the shadows of world’s highest mountains!
Our itinerary includes important time for acclimatisation and you can spend this time resting and soaking in the famously hospitable Himalayan culture, or you can continue riding. Pick your trail, a first descent, or the hardest line you dare. Whichever line you take, you’re choosing from the ultimate menu of big mountain freeriding.
NB: The challenge of this ride is more physical than technical. The trail is never more difficult than trail centre red routes (unless you want it to be!) and there is always the option to get off and push along the more technical terrain. You will be pushing for up to 2-3 hours a day at high altitude on 3 of the days to reach the Thorung La and should be ready for this challenge. If that excites you rather than fills you with dread, this is the trip for you!
Welcome to Nepal, let the adventure begin!
- Complete one of the most iconic Himalayan trails solely on mountain bike.
- Experience the thrill of 4,530m of descent; the world’s longest mountain bike descent!
- Ride the slopes of the world’s 7th and 10th highest mountains.
- Cross the challenging Thorung La pass (5,416m).
- Be awestruck by 360 degree Himalayan mountain panoramas.
- Experience the famous Nepalese hospitality in teahouses along the trail.
Want more adventure? Combine this tour with one of our other trips or treks to Nepal for an epic 31-day tour!
Dates and Prices
Private Tour Prices: from £1295
(dependent on group size)
|Number of People||Price per Person||Book Now|
|Price for 1 person|
|Price for 2 people|
|Price for 3 people|
|Price for 4 people|
|Price for 5-7 people|
|Price for 8-9 people|
|Price for 10+ people|
|Price for 20+ people|
You can either bring your own mountain bike for no extra cost or we can rent you a bike for the full duration of the trip. Prices are £40 per day for a full suspension (Giant Trance 2 or similar) or £25 per day for a hard tail. If you bring your own bike you must ensure that you have plenty of spare parts and all the bits you need to look after your bike for the 2 weeks. Our guides will only bring spare parts for the bikes we supply.
The best time to travel to Nepal is from March to May and October to December.
A deposit of £200 secures your place on the trip and the balance is due 60 days before the start of the tour. Monthly payment plans can be set up on request. If you book less than 60 days before the start of the trip then the full amount is due immediately.
Will there be any surcharges or price changes?
Once your deposit has been paid there is a guaranteed no price change. There are no hidden charges or extras, the price we quote you when you book is the price you and your group will be paying.
Extend your trip in Nepal by 2 more weeks
Check the departure dates of our other Nepal tours here. Get a 5% discount off of the lower priced tour when you book two trips for yourself!
If you want to arrive early or depart later then we can arrange accommodation and transport for you. Please contact us with any requests.
If you would like to treat yourself before or after your grand adventure, we are more than happy to arrange alternative accommodation. We also appreciate how lovely a little bit of lavish comfort can be when you are away from home and can recommend the following hotels for a touch of 5-star luxury in Kathmandu.
The bikes we use on this adventure are full suspension Giant Trance X’s or similar. You are welcome to bring your own bike with you for the trip but please contact us to discuss logistics.
Day Tours and Extensions to Nepal Trips
Want More Adventure?
Extra activities mentioned in the itinerary though not included in the total price are readily available in the places we visit. Your tour leader can help you arrange these. From scenic flights and canyon swings to scenic rambles and hidden gems why not extend your trip to make it truly a unique and once in a lifetime trip!
Read more information about Nepal
Itinerary and Route
All of our itineraries are meticulously researched and well planned. They are designed to give you the most amounts of fun and excitement, whilst also giving you ample time to relax. Lost Earth Adventures takes the hassle out of organising your trip, leaving you to sit back and enjoy your adventure!
- Day 1: Arrive Kathmandu
- Day 2: Drive to Besishar
- Day 3: Ride Besishar to Jagat (1,300m)
- Day 4: Ride Jagat to Chame (2,600m)
- Day 5: Ride Chame to Lower Pisang (3,200m)
- Day 6: Ride Lower Pisang to Manang (3,540m) 2 routes possible
- Day 7: Rest / acclimatisation day
- Day 8: Ride Manang to Yak Kharka (4,018m)
- Day 9: Ride Yak Kharka to Thorung Phedi (4,450m)
- Day 10: Ride Thorung Phedi to Muktinath (3,800m) via Thorung La (5,416m)
- Day 11: Ride Muktinath to Tuckche (2,590m) via Lubra Valley
- Day 12: Ride Tukuche to Tatopani hot springs (1,190m)
- Day 13: Ride Tatopani to Beni (899m) and drive to Pokhara
- Day 14: Return to Kathmandu
- Day 15: Depart for home
Click on the arrows below to take a photographic journey through the Annapurnas
We appreciate that in a group there will be many different speeds of rider and we don’t ever want you to feel like you are holding up a group or being held up. Having plenty of guides and porters allow for us to change itineraries and pace easily.
Recent Trip Reports
- Some of these reports are for the Hike and Bike trip but it will give you a good idea of what to expect. The Hike and bike is the same trip but we hike the uphill eastern side of the circuit and only ride the downhill western portion.
- Annapurna Hike and Bike Trek Report March 2014
- Annapurna Hike and Bike Trek Report Oct 2015
- Annapurna Hike and Bike Trek Report Nov 2016
- End of Season Report Autumn 2018
- Read our comprehensive guide to travelling at high altitude.
- 3 nights hotel accommodation in Kathmandu/Pokhara
- Welcome and farewell dinner, and all breakfasts in Kathmandu. All meals whilst cycling. No meals in Pokhara or the journeys to and from Pokhara. The food available in the tea houses is brilliant, there is a large selection of western, Chinese and Nepalese food available for you to choose from. We do not want you to be restricted in your menu choices and want you to enjoy the vast menus and locally grown produce of the tea houses. We will let you choose whatever meal you want from the menus at meal times.
- 11 nights teahouse accommodation
- Airport transfers to and from the airport on the first and last day
- All transportation for duration of tour (unless otherwise specified)
- Fully qualified, wilderness first aid trained guide/mechanic
- Entrance fees and trekking permits
- Porters and support staff to carry luggage and bikes
- Sufficient means of communication. Satellite phones can be rented on request for £10 per day.
- Guides will check in with our office to get regular bespoke weather updates and confirm locations
- Financial protection: we are an ABTA and ATOL bonded and insured, UK based tour operator
- Pre-departure support and advice by email, phone and face to face meetings in York if you would like. After booking with us we will send you a highly informative and comprehensive trip information pack
- Remote medical support from specialist doctors
- Small groups. No more than 12 people on a set departure trip
- We don’t force a fast or slow pace. Our teams are supported with plenty of staff so you can walk or cycle at your own pace. We let you enjoy at the pace that is right for you.
- Our guides and porters are paid fairly, properly equipped and fully insured for rescue and medical emergencies
- Map of our mountain bike and trek around the Annapurna circuit
- Trekking kit bag
- If you’d like to meet some of our team and experience our services beforehand you can join us on one of our UK adventures.
What’s Not Included
- Bike hire. We can rent you a mountain bike for the full duration of the trip. Prices are £40 per day for a full suspension (Giant Trance 2 or similar) or £25 per day for a hard tail.
- Optional additional porter to carry bike over Thorung La Pass or other sections of the journey. Available to arrange on route and negotiate locally.
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Items of a personal nature (drinks, snacks, souvenirs, etc.)
- Nepalese visa (Available to buy for $30 USD on arrival in Nepal)
- International flights
- Scenic Everest mountain flight
- Tips to local guides
- Airport transfers taken outside of the itinerary’s arrival and departure dates
Travelling to Nepal
You will need a passport with 6-month’s validity and you will need to obtain a Nepalese visa. The easiest way to get the visa is to buy it on entry to Nepal with either dollars or any major currency but not Nepali Rupees. Currently the cost for a single-entry visa valid for 15/30/90 days costs US$30/50/125. You can buy a visa in advance from the Neplese embassy in your home country if they have a location there. It is more expensive than buying it on arrival in Kathmandu and it doesn’t always save you time when you arrive as it is random which queue is longer. You also have to risk sending your passport off and they may take it for several weeks. You will need to buy travel insurance for your trip which you can find out about here. You also need to visit your GP or travel health professional at least 4-6 weeks before your trip to check what vaccinations you need.
For more information about travelling safely and obtaining passports you can see more at the FCO know before you go Travel Aware Campaign.
What Our Guests Say
This film is actually from our Hike and Bike tour but it’s the same route, just on this trip you’re peddling all the way!
Groups: Private Treks and Group Tours
Charities, Schools, Military, Private Groups and Tailor Made Trips for Individuals
All our tours can be run privately for you and your group, from solo travellers to groups of over 50. We specialise in organising bespoke tours for groups of friends, charity challenges, school groups, mountaineering clubs, families, and countless others.
Please contact us with your details to receive a price within 24 hours.
We love working with charity challengers! We have our own charity (Share the Load Foundation) and are inspired by your determination to fundraise for worthy causes. That’s why we will do everything we can to help you achieve your goals during a charity challenge. We provide support from start to finish, including fundraising tips, training plans and the very best in-country support.
We believe that the best way for students to develop into global citizens ready to go and conquer the world is to get them out into it as soon as possible. We meticulously plan our itineraries to increase students’ independence and self-belief and develop a sense of social responsibility. UK safety standards and documentation for all activities and a 24 hour UK based operations centre ensure students’ safety and well-being on their Asian Lost Earth Adventure.
We are an Approved Military Contractor and provide many courses, expeditions and adventure training for groups of serving personnel and Cadets.
We understand honeymooners need a bit of champagne sparkle, some celebrations warrant the inclusion of heli-trekking and spa treatments, and that the very active relax with white-water rafting after summiting 6,000m peaks. Decades of research and our extensive in-country network mean anything is possible. Get in touch and we’ll start preparing your perfect adventure.
Information for group leaders & group discounts
Depending on your trip and number of participants, we can offer groups of 10 or more a complimentary place or a discount for all adventurers. Schools trips can benefit from free places for teachers, whilst we can discount rates for charity challenges. Contact us with your details and requirements and we will get a quote to you within one working day.
We also appreciate the effort it takes to coordinate a group of people so in exchange for your efforts, we will give group organisers of 10+ people a £150 Cotswold gift voucher; perfect for kitting yourself out ahead of your big adventure!
All group members receive a complimentary kit bag, t-shirt and a voucher code for 15% off at Cotswold Outdoor.
For Your Information
Health and safety and financial protection
At Lost Earth Adventures, health and safety is our top priority. All our trips are run to UK and international safety standards, and are proud to surpass these standards in many areas. We are an ABTA and ATOL bonded tour operator, ensuring your financial protection.
Full details of our policies and protections are available here.