Gosainkund Lakes and Helambu Trekking Tour
High Altitude Trek in the Hanging Valleys of the Langtang
Extraordinary private expeditions from £1,245
Soak up the wonders of the Sherpa, Tamang and Newari cultures in our spectacular Gosainkunda Lakes and Helambu trek. Begin in frenetic Kathmandu then leave the city behind, go off the beaten path and trek into the real Nepal.
Inspiring landscapes, remote Himalayan communities, valleys and lakes that stretch on for miles, all against the backdrop of towering peaks. Trekking in Nepal is one of the best places for pure adventure, exploration and authentic cultural experiences.
Get the bigger picture of what’s included in this trek with our Gosainkunda Lakes and Helambu Trek Dossier.
Welcome to Nepal, let the adventure begin!
- Climb the high passes of the Langtang National Park
- Experience traditional Tamang and Sherpa culture
- Explore the UNESCO Kathmandu Valley and temples
- Panorama looking over 3 of the world’s 8,000m peaks
- Escape the crowds and go off the beaten path
- Enjoy lush valleys and spectacular landscapes
- Visit remote Himalayan mountain communities
- Relax and absorb the atmosphere at the Holy Gosainkunda lakes
- 4×4 Jeep trip into the Himalayas
- A chance to climb a 4,500m peak
- A fully supported and well-organised expedition
- Part of The Great Himalaya Trail
Want more adventure? Combine this trip with one of our other Nepal treks or tours
Private expeditions from £1,245
We run this trek as a privately guided tour only. This brings your group closer to the cultural experience on offer. Private guides will see to your every need, so you all you need to do is take in the views, culture and more. We can run this trip for any group size.
Privately guided tours
Prices excluding flights
Prices including flights
Are there any hidden costs or price changes?
No. Once you pay your deposit, we guarantee there’s no price change. There are no hidden charges or extras either. The price we quote is the price you pay.
Extend your trip in Nepal
Check the departure dates of our other Nepal tours here. Book two trips for yourself and get 5% off the lower priced tour. We can also help arrange arriving earlier or departing later to maximise your stay in this wonderful place.
We don’t charge a single supplement fee for solo travellers. Prices are based on sharing a twin room with a member of the same sex or a travelling companion. You can stay in your own room for £290. This must be paid with the final balance.
Treat yourself to some lavish comfort before or after your grand adventure. We’re experts when it comes travelling in and around Nepal, so why not see our recommendations on the best 5-star hotels in Kathmandu?
Day Tours and Excursions
Explore holy temples, endearing hilltop villages or the exotic capital of Kathmandu. Seek out tranquility or adventure! From bungee jumping and white water rafting to scenic rambles into untouched monasteries! There’s always more to see in Nepal. Check out all our day trips and excursions.
Itinerary and Route
Our itineraries are meticulously researched. They are designed to give you the most fun with ample time to relax. We take the hassle out of organising your trip so that you can soak up every ounce of your mesmerising adventure!
- Day 1: Arrive in Kathmandu
- Day 2: Tour the ancient temples of Kathmandu
- Day 3: 4×4 crossing of the Himalaya
- Day 4: Trek to Thulo Syaphru
- Day 5: Trek to Chandanbari
- Day 6: Trek to Laurebina
- Day 7: Trek to Gosainkunda Lakes
- Day 8: Trek to Gopte
- Day 9: Trek to Mangengoth
- Day 10: Trek to Chipling
- Day 11: Trek to Chisopani
- Day 12: Trek to Sundarijal then drive to Kathmandu
- Day 13: Rest day to enjoy the shops and sights of Kathmandu
- Day 14: Fly home
Click on the arrows below to take a photographic adventure through the Nepalese Himalaya.
The Gosainkunda Lakes and Helambu regions are slightly off the main tourist trail. The teahouse accommodation is quite rustic. There is never more than two people per room and the rooms are always kept clean. We spend a few nights above 3,500m sea level and it can be below freezing. A good-quality sleeping bag will keep you comfortable. You can rent one from us if necessary. The trek generally lends itself to a good amount of acclimatisation.
- 4 nights in hotel accommodation in Kathmandu
- Included meals: All meals while trekking, breakfasts in Kathmandu, welcome and farewell dinner in Kathmandu. The food available in the tea houses is brilliant, there is a large selection of western, Chinese and Nepalese food available for you to choose from. We do not want you to be restricted in your menu choices and want you to enjoy the vast menus and locally grown produce of the tea houses. We will let you choose whatever meal you want from the menus at meal times.
- 9 nights in teahouse accommodation during the trek
- Afternoon tea and biscuits while trekking
- Airport transfers to and from the airport on the first and last day
- All transportation for duration of tour (unless otherwise stated)
- Entrance fees and trekking permits
- Porters for carrying your bags whilst trekking
- One fully qualified, first-aid-trained Trekking Guide
- Guided tour of the three temples of Kathmandu
- Sufficient means of communication. Satellite phones can be rented on request for £10 per day.
- Guides will check in with our office to get regular bespoke weather updates and confirm locations
- Financial protection: we are an ABTA and ATOL bonded and insured, UK based tour operator
- Pre-departure support and advice by email, phone and face to face meetings in York if you would like. After booking with us we will send you a highly informative and comprehensive trip information pack
- Remote medical support from specialist doctors
- Small groups. No more than 12 people on a set departure trip
- Trekking kit bag
- We don’t force a fast or slow pace. Our teams are supported with plenty of staff so you can walk at your own pace. We let you walk at the pace that is right for you.
- Our guides and porters are paid fairly, properly equipped and fully insured for rescue and medical emergencies
- Map of the Langtang Valley
- If you’d like to meet some of our team and experience our services beforehand you can join us on one of our UK adventures.
What’s not included?
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Items of a personal nature (drinks, snacks, souvenirs, etc.)
- Nepalese visa (available to buy on arrival at Kathmandu airport from USD30)
- Scenic Everest mountain flight
- Tips to porters/local guide
- Airport transfers taken outside of the itinerary’s arrival and departure dates
Download our Gosainkunda Lakes and Helambu Trek Dossier for full details on this trek.
Travelling to Nepal
You’ll need a passport with 6-month’s validity as well as a Nepalese visa. The best way to obtain this is to buy it on entry to Nepal in any major currency but not Nepali Rupees. Typically, the cost is USD30 for 15 days.
You’ll also need travel insurance and you should visit your GP or a health professional at least 4-6 weeks before you travel to check which vaccinations you may need.
For more info on travelling safely and obtaining a visa, see the FCO Know Before You Go campaign.
- Read our comprehensive guide to travelling at high altitude.
Recent Trip Reports
- Gosainkunda Lakes Trek Report Sept 2011
- Gosainkunda Lakes Trek Report Feb 2012
- Gosainkunda Lakes Trek Report June 2012
- Gosainkunda Lakes Trek Report Nov 2012
- Gosainkunda Lakes Trek Report Oct 2013
- Gosainkunda Lakes and Helambu Trek Report April 2016
- End of Season Report Autumn 2018
What Our Guests Say
Video of trekking through Gosainkunda Lakes, Helambu and also the Langtang Valley
Groups: Private Treks and Group Tours
Charities, Schools, Military, Private Groups and Tailor Made Trips for Individuals
All our tours can be run privately for you and your group, from solo travellers to groups of over 50. We specialise in organising bespoke tours for groups of friends, charity challenges, school groups, mountaineering clubs, families, and countless others.
Please contact us with your details to receive a price within 24 hours.
Lost Earth Adventures loves working with charity challengers! We have our own charity (Share the Load Foundation) and are inspired by your determination to fundraise for worthy causes. That’s why we will do everything we can to help you achieve your goals during a charity challenge. We provide support from start to finish, including fundraising tips, training plans and the very best in-country support.
We believe that the best way for students to develop into global citizens ready to go and conquer the world is to get them out into it as soon as possible. Our itineraries are meticulously planned to increase students’ independence and self-belief and develop a sense of social responsibility. UK safety standards and documentation for all activities and a 24 hour UK based operations centre ensure students’ safety and well-being on their Asian Lost Earth Adventure.
We are an Approved Military Contractor and provide many courses, expeditions and adventure training for groups of serving personnel and Cadets.
We understand honeymooners need a bit of champagne sparkle, some celebrations warrant the inclusion of heli-trekking and spa treatments, and that the very active relax with white-water rafting after summiting 6,000m peaks. Decades of research and our extensive in-country network mean anything is possible. Get in touch and we’ll start preparing your perfect adventure.
Information for group leaders & group discounts
Depending on your trip and number of participants, we can offer groups of 10 or more a complimentary place or a discount for all adventurers. Schools trips can benefit from free places for teachers, whilst we can discount rates for charity challenges. Contact us with your details and requirements and we will get a quote to you within one working day.
We also appreciate the effort it takes to coordinate a group of people so in exchange for your efforts, we will give group organisers of 10+ people a £150 Cotswold gift voucher; perfect for kitting yourself out ahead of your big adventure!
All group members receive a complimentary kit bag, t-shirt and a voucher code for 15% off at Cotswold Outdoor.
For Your Information
Health and safety and financial protection
At Lost Earth Adventures, health and safety is our top priority. All our trips are run to UK and international safety standards, and are proud to surpass these standards in many areas. We are an ABTA and ATOL bonded tour operator, ensuring your financial protection.
Full details of our policies and protections are available here.