Honeymoon for Cheryl and Oliver
Peace and Tranquillity in the Himalaya
Hike between Himalayan Giants and Visit Ancient Monasteries
Welcome to Kathmandu, enchanting and exotic, it is a city immersed with ancient temples and tradition! Fused with colourful markets and the bustle of spice sellers and merchants, Kathmandu with its exhilarating allure is a city you won’t forget!
You’ll be met at the airport by your guide and transferred to your hotel. You’ll have the afternoon free to explore the streets and markets. In the evening we’ll have dinner at a local restaurant.
Explore three awe-inspiring temples and discover why the entire Kathmandu Valley is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage site! Along the banks of the Bagmati River is Pashupitinath. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is the most important site for Hindus in Nepal. Cremations and acts of devotion can regularly be seen at this atmospheric place of worship. Located in a tranquil part of the city is the peaceful and majestic Bodhnath Stupa, where thousands of pilgrims gather daily to show their respect and faith. Climb the steps to Swayambutinath, high on a hilltop overlooking the city. Used by both Hindus and Buddhists, the temple is regarded for its many holy (and very cheeky) monkeys!
We drive west to Pokhara. The journey is breathtaking as we follow the gorge of the Trisuli River, passing by lush valleys, terraced rice fields and dramatic landscapes. Eventually we reach Pokhara, a quiet town nestled between the peaceful waters of Phewa Tal (Phewa Lake) and the spectacular Himalayan Annapurna Massif! The rest of the day is free to explore this laidback town. Hire a boat and relax on Phewa Tal, wander the streets of Old Pokhara or visit the Gurkha museum and discover the achievements of this world-renowned regiment.
We set out in the morning, taking a short drive to Nayapul before beginning our trek. The trail at first descends sharply to a bridge crossing the Burundi Khola. After crossing the river we will begin to ascend through bamboo forests to Tirkhadunga.
Following stone steps we gain height as we head towards the village of Ulleri. From here you will be able to see some interesting views of terraced fields sloping down to the river’s edge. Onwards and the trail passes through the visually beautiful rhododendron forests that are a famous part of trekking in Nepal.
Rise early to witness one of the highlights of this trek, the remarkable view from Poon Hill. The Himalayan panorama from here is unforgettable, as you will see the whole of the Annapurna range lit by the spreading light of dawn.
Impressive mountain scenery awaits you on this day of trekking as you pass along trails that cross the river and descend slowly to Ghandruk. We are greeted with a huge mountain panorama of the greater Himalayan range enjoyed from the balcony of one of the most luxurious trekking lodges in Nepal. Ghandruk is a traditional village dating back more than a thousand years.
Walking in the shadow of the Annapurna range we will contour through the foothills of the Himalaya, through simple farming communities and uninterrupted views of Machapuchare. Further on and the trail descends to the banks of the Modi Khola and continues into Phedi via some amazing mountain vistas at Dhampus. We will then head back to Pokhara.
We will have a group farewell dinner in the evening at a local restaurant.
We return to Kathmandu arriving in the afternoon. Wander around the medieval Durbar Square in the heart of the city, sample some Newari cuisine, or shop for some locally made handicrafts and souvenirs. Spend the night in the comfort of your 5* hotel.
Kathmandu’s Regency Hyatt
All rooms are well-equipped and spacious with a private bathroom, a walk-in shower, an in-room safe and a mini bar. Guests at the Regency Club rooms and suites enjoy additional privileges and facilities such as the usage of the boardroom, a dedicated concierge and evening cocktails and canapés.
Day 10 – Fly Home
Experience a breathtaking Mt Everest flight and explore a medieval city…
*Scenic flight is possible the same day as your flight home as long as your flight is after midday. The tour of Patan is possible as long as your flight is after 2pm
Trekking Times and Altitudes
These tables show the approximate times it takes to walk to each place we stay at night. These times do not include rest and food breaks. The footpath on this trek is pleasantly smooth on well-trodden trails, allowing for nice walking 95% of the time.
|Honeymoon for Cheryl and Oliver
|Nayapul (1070m) to Tirkhadunga (1577m)
|1 hour drive, 4-5 hours trekking
|Trek Tirkhadunga (1577m) to Ghorepani (2810m)
|Ghorepani (2810m) to Tadapani (2710m) via Poon Hill (3210m)
|Tadapani (2710m) to Ghandruk (2000m)
|Ghandruk to Biretanti to Pokhara (1130m)
|3 hours trekking, 45 minute driving
Click on the arrows below to take a photographic adventure through the mountains of Ghorepani and Poon Hill.
- Read our comprehensive guide to travelling at high altitude.
- 4 nights hotel accommodation in Kathmandu/Pokhara
- 1 night at the Hyatt in 5 star luxury
- 4 nights teahouse accommodation
- Entrance fees and trekking permits
- Airport transfers to and from the airport on the first and last day
- 1 Fully Qualified, first aid trained, government of Nepal registered Trekking Guide.
- A welcome dinner and farewell dinner as well as breakfast is included at your hotel in Kathmandu. No other meals are included so please budget around £20 per day per person for food while trekking
- All transportation for duration of tour (unless otherwise specified)
- Porters and support staff to carry luggage
- Thuraya satellite phone (to be used for organising logistics and in emergencies)
- Guides will check in daily with our UK office to get regular bespoke weather updates and confirm locations
- Financial protection: we are a fully bonded and insured UK based tour operator
- Pre-departure support and advice by email, phone and face to face meetings in York if you would like. After booking with us we will send you a highly informative and comprehensive trip information pack
- Remote medical support from specialist doctors
- We don’t force a fast or slow pace. We let you walk at the pace that is right for you.
- Our guides and porters are paid fairly, properly equipped and fully insured for rescue and medical emergencies
- Trekking kit bag
- If you’d like to meet some of our team and experience our services beforehand you can join us on one of our UK adventures.
What’s Not Included
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Items of a personal nature (drinks, snacks, souvenirs, etc.)
- Nepalese visa (Available to buy for $30 USD on arrival in Nepal)
- International flights
- Tips to porters/local guide
- Airport transfers taken outside of the itinerary’s arrival and departure dates
What Our Guests Say
Just to say Mandy and I had such a great holiday and trek. We loved the Poon Hill trek. Dhruba was really patient with us and helpful. So thanks again!”
Alice Windsor – Poon Hill Trek March 2014